We're in the final stretch of this module and there's just one remaining slice of the pie. The start up pitch ended with me considering the usefulness of taking this module: am I better equipped to pitch? The answer is yes.
Here's what I learnt.
- VCs look for Value, Team, Market, Customer Aquisition.
- Numbers and statistics to show our projections.
- Concise answers to questions are the way to go. Formulate the answer in the mind before speaking.
- Avoid saying 'you' during presentation. Too personal.
- Be clear with presentational content (slides).
Our 360 is on Friday.
I've got some general comments on how a good appraisal system would be.
- Start with a round of introduction (names and roles). One line that best describes your role, if this start up were an actual company.
- Take feedback as a learning tool.
- Ask questions and tell others about expectations met, exceeded or unmet.
- For each member, all other members will take a turn to speak about a particular feature, then move to the next member.
- Stress on behaviours.
- Stress on competency.
- Avoid talking about skills.
Our choice of talking points are:
- To what extend can you be depended on to keep your commitments?
- Can you provide an example of a time when you demonstrated reliability?
- When working with co-workers, what interpersonal skills do you demonstrate?
- Have you experienced any problems interpersonally with the rest of your group?
- How would you recommend that you improve your interpersonal and relationship building skills?
- Do you effectively communicate so that you are clear on your message, meaning, and what is needed from you?
- Can you provide an overall picture of how effective you are at managing your time?
- Do you attend team and other meetings in a timely fashion on a regular basis? Or, are you consistently late?
- How timely are you about the completion of commitments and assignments?
- Do you prioritize action items and work, in general, and then, follow through on the priorities you set?
- Are the priorities that you select the appropriate priorities?